State-of-the-art technology has made LASIK even safer and more effective than it was before. This has increased patient satisfaction as well as the final outcomes of surgery. Of course, as technology improves, there is a concern about the rising cost of treatment.
Our team receives a number questions about the cost of LASIK at our Washington, DC center. We’d like to consider how the technology used to perform LASIK could impact the price of laser eye surgery. Keep in mind that the benefits often offset (if not outweigh) the increase in cost.
Technology That Enhances LASIK
There are a number of different laser systems that are used to perform LASIK surgery. Custom LASIK technology and bladeless LASIK are the advanced techniques that LASIK surgeons tend to advertise to patients.
- Custom LASIK technology means that the corneal surface of the eye is digitally mapped. This allows the LASIK procedure to be computer-guided with a higher degree of accuracy.
- Bladeless LASIK technology means that the initial flap created on the corneal surface is made with lasers rather than a physical tool. Like custom LASIK, all-laser LASIK increases accuracy and reduces the chance of human error.
Other Factors That Impact the Price of LASIK
Keep in mind that apart from the use of technology, the cost of LASIK may be affected by the following factors:
- The experience and reputation of the surgeon
- The location of the LASIK practice
- Special promotions unique to a given practice
The Benefits of Advanced LASIK Technology
Even if there is an increased cost for technologically advanced LASIK, there are benefits to keep in mind that justify the increased price of surgery:
- Lower risk of infection
- Elimination of human error
- Reduced risk of surgical and post-op complications
- Improved vision quality
- Fewer side effects following surgery
- Higher rates of patient satisfaction
Are the Benefits Worth the Potential Increase in Cost?
We definitely think so, but the final decision really comes down to the patient and what they think. If the benefits above seem worthwhile, then state-of-the-art LASIK could be an ideal option for your vision correction needs. If you are still hesitant about LASIK despite these technological benefits, then it’s a good idea to continue doing your research and weighing your vision care options.
If you have any questions, we’d be more than happy to answer them for you.
Learn More About LASIK
For more information about laser vision correction and how it can benefit you, be sure to contact an experienced LASIK surgeon. Using our insight and expertise, we can develop a treatment plan that takes all of your eye care needs into account.