Precise, Safe, and Proven: Wavefront Optimized® LASIK
Because your eyes are unique, your vision correction surgery should also be customized to your needs. Board-certified ophthalmologist Andrew Holzman is proud to offer the latest, most advanced form of corrective surgery at his practice locations in Washington, DC, and throughout Virginia and Maryland. Wavefront Optimized® LASIK is a surgery that uses your individual eye measurements to create a detailed, precise map of your eye. This map is then used to plan your LASIK surgery and ensure highly successful outcomes. Because of its ability to detect more visual errors than traditional methods, Wavefront Optimized is the preferred approach for patients who are not considered good candidates for standard LASIK.
What Is Wavefront Optimized?
Wavefront Optimized is a technology that uses digital maps of your cornea to design your surgery based on your unique optical issues. This makes surgery more precise, effective, and safe than ever before.
In general, you are a good candidate for Wavefront Optimized treatment if you:
- Have severe astigmatism
- Suffer from glares, haloes, or other higher order vision aberrations
- Do not qualify for traditional LASIK surgery
Because Wavefront Optimized enables us to detect the most minute imperfections on the cornea, we can treat them with greater accuracy than traditional LASIK methods. If you have a common refractive error including nearsightedness, farsightedness, and mild astigmatism, you can also enjoy the benefits of this technology.
What to Expect during Treatment
Dr. Holzman will program our Alcon WaveLight® EX 500 laser using key characteristics of your eyes curvature. After applying anesthetic eyedrops, Dr. Holzman will ask you to lay down in the workstation. While you focus on a small blinking light above you, the laser will project small, quick bursts onto your cornea.
If you have been told that you do not qualify for LASIK, Wavefront Optimized technology could make your surgery possible once again.
The laser is also equipped with active tracking technology. If you move your eye during surgery, do not worry. The laser can track your movement and perform a continuously accurate treatment. Surgery can typically be performed in just minutes.
The Benefits over Other Methods
Every eye is different, and every LASIK surgery should be too. Wavefront Optimized offers several advantages over traditional methods, including:
- Precision: In the past, LASIK surgery was based on your eyeglasses prescription. Therefore, patients with the same prescription underwent the same treatment. This is not the case with Wavefront Optimized LASIK, as it is performed entirely according to your eyes.
- Improved Outcomes: More patients who undergo custom LASIK are able to achieve 20/20 vision or better when compared to patients who undergo traditional LASIK.
- Low-Risk: Patients who undergo optimized LASIK often experience a lower risk of complications, such as poor night vision, glare, and haloes, following the procedure.
- Versatile: While patients with severe astigmatism and other vision aberrations, such as poor night vision, were previously disqualified from getting LASIK, Wavefront Optimized allows Dr. Holzman to treat patients with very complex, unique vision concerns.
- Improved Night Vision: Wavefront Optimized procedures work to decrease spherical aberration. This procedure increases the patients visual optical zone compared to older Lasik technology and thereby improves visual clarity in the evening.
While the surgery maintains the natural shape of your eyes, you can enjoy a dramatic improvement in your vision almost immediately after the surgery.
Find Out If You Are a Candidate
If you have been told that you do not qualify for LASIK, Wavefront Optimized technology could make your surgery possible once again. Dr. Holzman has performed over 80,000 surgeries and can help you decide whether this technology can improve your results. To learn more, contact one of our convenient locations by phone or message us online.
“Dr. Holzman is the best - very honest, very professional yet very friendly and personable.” Ben E.