PRK Candidate Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C.

Description

About 20% of Dr. Andrew Holzman's patients are better PRK candidates than they are LASIK candidates. Generally, a patient will be deemed a PRK candidate at any of the TLC facilities in Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. if they have thin corneas or if they are engaging in physical contact in their daily routine.

View transcript

Some patients are only candidates for PRK. When we look at our patient base, approximately 20% of the patients we see are candidates for PRK, and the other 80% of the patients that we operate on are Lasik patients. There are a variety of reasons why someone might be a better candidate for PRK. The most important reason is usually corneal thickness. If the cornea is not thick enough for us to make a Lasik flap, then we're going to opt for PRK because it is a safer procedure for that particular patient. Also, if the cornea has a curve in it that we deem to be less safe for us to make that flap, again, in Lasik, then we will opt for PRK. Lastly, if the cornea has a surface abnormality, we may also opt for PRK. There are also certain occupations and hobbies, such as martial arts, which lend themselves better for PRK. We do a lot of law enforcement with PRK, and it's usually because of the fear of getting involved in a fight where the face or the eyes may get hit or banged in the early post-operative period, thereby causing some damage to the flap. For this reason, we opt for PRK in these patients as well.

Dr. Andrew Holzman

Andrew E. Holzman, MD, FACS

Andrew E. Holzman, MD, FACS, is one of the most well-respected ophthalmologists in the greater Washington D.C. area. He is regularly sought out by professional athletes, media personalities, and other doctors for laser eye surgery. Dr. Holzman is a member of several prestigious organizations, including:

  • The American Academy of Ophthalmology
  • The American College of Surgeons
  • The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
  • The American Medical Association
  • The International Society of Refractive Surgery

To schedule a consultation at one of our five locations, please fill out our online form or give us a call at (703) 556-9155.

Contact Us Today

Dr. Holzman is the best - very honest, very professional yet very friendly and personable. Ben E.

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite

Gainesville Office

7538 Limestone Dr
Gainesville, VA 20155

Closed Today

McLean Office

7930 Jones Branch Dr
Ste 250
McLean, VA 22102

Closed Today

Rockville Office

11200 Rockville Pike
Ste 150
Rockville, MD 20852

Closed Today

Charlottesville Office

630 Peter Jefferson Pkwy
Ste 180
Charlottesville, VA 22911

Closed Today

Washington Office

1801 K St NW
Ste 500L
Washington, DC 20006

Closed Today

What is the best time for you?

Add additional time

Which location would you prefer?

Tell us a bit about yourself...

(800) 555-5555 Send a message